Title: Steel Panthers World at War.
Developer: Matrix Games, SSI
Individual Contributors: Gary Grigsby, Keith Brors, David Heath, Michael Wood, Nick Papp, Wild Bill Wilder, Scott Grasse, Mike Amos, Jim Faletti, Tom Proudfoot.
Development Status: Full Release
Description: An update to the classic Steel Panthers game from SSI. Turn-based, tactical wargame simulating World War II.
- Single and multiplayer (up to 4).
- Simulates combat from 1930 to 1949.
- 340+ scenarios.
- 25 campaigns.
- Battle Generator.
- Scenario Editor.
- Historical Encyclopedia.
- Includes tools for customizing/editing the game including:
- OOB Editor
- SHP Editor
- World at War Game Editor
- World at War Map Editor
- Documentation is fairly extensive:
- Main User Manual: 239 pages
- OOB Changes: 32 pages
- RockinHarry’s New Shapes: 31 pages
- Sound Effects Map: 6 pages
- Tables of Organization of World War II: 101 pages
- Special Scenario Designer Units in Norway OOB 86: 13 pages
- There are 344 scenarios included with the game, a sampling of a few titles are listed below:
- Chateau de Quesnoy (Author: Paul Saunders) – June 6, 1940 – Along the Somme in France the Germans experience unexpected and sustained resistance from the 4th North African Division.
- The Vanishing Division (Author: John Redleg Rank) – November 23-24, 1942 – Play as Soviet troops attacking General Seydlitz-Kurbach’s German 94th Division (part of the 6th Army) at Stalingrad.
- Across the Wire (Author: Wild Bill Wilder, Jim ‘Figmo’ Faletti) – June 16, 1940 – An encounter between British and Italian troops in Libya.
- The Beginning of the End (Author: Davor Popovic) – June 7, 1942 – Soviet positions around Sevastopol begin to collapse as the Germans advance.
- World War II
- Preparing the Way
- Heroes of the Motherland
- From Utah to the Rhine
- A Long, Long Road to Victory
- Watchword Freedom
- Tulagi – The First Offensive
- Guadalcanal 1942
- Normandy Gold
- Stalingrad Campaign
- The Victors: USA vs USSR
- Rommel to the Rescue (Easy/Hard)
- Raiders of the Sahara
- Author: Kevin (FlashfyreSP) McFerren
- Simulates the British Rat Patrol units in Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco in World War II.
- Balkan Crisis
- Author: Kurt Beaumont-Jones
- Simulates operations of the 7th SS Gebirgs Division ‘Prinz Eugen’ in 1945 against Yugaslavian revolutionaries.
- The Hated Hurtgen – WBW
- Operation Weserubung
- The Chosin Few
- Italians at War
- Flesh and Steel
- Yangtze River Patrol
- Dien Bien Phu
- Legione di Valorosi